Tullamore Rugby Club Report w/e 21st Nov

Leinster League Div 1.A


Tullamore’s  slim chance of getting back into contention for league honours evaporated in Dundlk last Sunday against a clinical home side who made better use of the limited possession they had. Tullamore could not break through a well organised defence even though the owned the ball for most of this game.

A  poor start saw Tullamore down fouteen points in as many minutes. They failed to gather a linout near their own line allowing the home teams No. 8 in for a converted try within five minutes. Shortly after a speedy winger rounded the defence to score another converted try. Mark Whelan was on the end of Tullamore’s best attack following a break by Adrian Hanley to score try in the corner. Tullamore should have made use of the extra man for ten minutes when the Dundlak tighthead was sin binned for a cynical foul which prevented a try. They were close on at least two occasions but gave away silly scrums which relieved the pressure. Just before the break Dundalk kicked a penalty to extend the lead to 17-05 at half time.

Johnny Moloney narrowed the gap with a penalty shortly into the second half but against the run of play Dundalk extended their lead with a chip and chase for a try that was converted. Tullamore threw the ball around and probed every where for a gap to no avail. In injury side with Tullamore visibly tiring and having lost three players through injury Dundalk’s  Samoan player coach got in for a try near the posts that was easily converted.

Tullamore have a week off but it does not get any easier with a visit to Drogheda the following week to play league leaders Boyne.

TEAM; 15.Mick Brazil, 14. Colin Hughes, 13. Ivor Scully, 12.Aaron Deverell, 11.Mark Whelan, 10. Johnny Moloney, 9.Richie Hughes, 1. Steve McQuaid, 2. Cathal Feighery, 3. Alvin Bracken, 4. Dave Hanlon, 5. Ivor Deverell, 6.Daire O’Beirne, 7. Cyril Cornally, 8. Adrian Hanley(Capt)

Replacements used; Kevin Browne, Ger Molloy, Rob Connor, Paul McNiff and Rory Deverell.

Leinster Seconds League Div 1.A


Tullamore never gave up in this league encounter against the team one place above them in the league and as well as the win Tullamore now overtake Dundalk to be in second place in the table. The visitors were behind in this game until five minutes into injury time.

From the kick off Dundalk attacked and it took a great tackle from Rory Deverell to prevent a score after two minutes. Outhalf Mick Fox had to clear from his goal line on two occasions before the pressure told with a converted try by Dundalk after fourteen minutes. Johnny Butler kicked a penalty within ten minutes to open Tullamore’s account. However on the half hour mark the Dundalk backs moved the ball quickly and extended the lead with a try. In injury time Dundalk were caught offside under their posts and Johnny Butler kicked a second penalty to leave Dundalk leading 12-06 at half time.

Butler agained reduced the lead with an early penalty but it was Dundalk who scored next with a try. Kevin Browne playing at wing forward got the visitors back into the game with twelve minutes left and a Mick Fox conversion left a one point deficit. Rob Connor returning from injury made the vital break in injury time, fed his back row colleague Paul McNiff and took the return pass to score the winning try which Johnny Butler converted. The referee surprisingly played another four minutes of injury time but Tullamore survived.

The whole pack were outsanding with new No.10 Mick Fox, Rory Deverell and Fearghal O’ Mahony making his first start the pick of the backs.

TEAM; 15. Chris Gethings, 14. Aidan Ryan, 13.Rory Deverell,12.Johnny Butler,  11.Fearghal O’Mahony, ,  9. Ger Wynne, 1. Ger Molloy, 2.Eddie Connor, 3. Keith Cleary, 4.John Connolly, 5.Ciaran McNeill(Capt), 6.Kevin Browne, 7.Rob Connor,  8. Paul McNiff,

Replacements used;Daire Lowry and  Danny Madden.

U-15s  Leinster Premier League


Tullamore had a deserved win in a very competitive match on Saturday morning.

First half  tries from Adam Mangan and Jerome Scully both of which were converted by Paul Norton who also kicked a penalty accounted for the home teams points. Dundalk scored two tries that they failed to convert.

Adam Mangan scored another try in the second half which Norton also converted. A late Dundalk converted try could not change the result.


Friday;      U-19. Tullamore  v  Edenderry Leinster Premier League @ 8.00pm

Saturday; U-21 Tullow  v  Tullamore Gale League Cup @ 8.00pm.

U-17 Tullamore  v  Mullingar Leinster Premier Lerague @ 12.30pm

U- 15 Mullingar  v  Tullamore Leinster Premier League  @ 12.00 noon

U-13  Mullingar  v  Tullamore  Leinster Premier League @ 12.00 noon

Comments are closed.