BMW Launch New 2017 Models At The Carole Nash Irish Motorbike And Scooter Show
BMW Motorrad announced that it would introduce its new 2017 models to the Irish public for the first time at the Carole Nash Irish Motorbike and Scooter Show at the RDS in Dublin, which runs from March 3rd – 5th. Amongst 18 BMW bikes going on display are three brand new versions of the most popular travel enduro bike in the world, the BMW GS.
For more than 35 years the BMW GS models have been the gold standard for motorbikes which combine touring comfort, endurance over long distance journeys, dynamic performance and the off-road ability capable of tackling any type of terrain you might come across.
The three new R 1200 GS models for 2017 add several new features alongside the modernised styling. While the engine has been updated to comply with the new EU environmental compliance rules, it has not affected performance at all. The BMW R 1200 GS models are powered by an air/liquid-cooled boxer engine that will generate 125hp at 7,750 rpm, with a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6,500 rpm. This engine performance is assisted by the addition of a new catalytic converter and modified Electronic Control Unit settings.
The 2017 R 1200 GS offers two riding modes, Rain and Road as standard as well as Automatic Stability Control for optimum traction. As an optional extra, the bike can be fitted with ‘Riding Modes Pro’. This adds a further four settings for the rider and includes Dynamic Traction Control, which enables even more efficient and safe acceleration, especially in the banking position. Dynamic Brake Light, another optional, activates and draws attention while braking.
Ruth Lemass, organiser of the Carole Nash Irish Motorbike & Scooter Show, said: “Having the newest versions of BMW’s most successful and famous model at our show for the first time in Ireland is a real coup for the show, and a great attraction for our visitors. I believe the Rallye version is the sportiest series production GS of all time and it shows in its performance. We have so many new bikes being unveiled at the show that it’s a must for the enthusiast. We also have fantastic demonstrations and entertainment for all the family in the outdoor arenas, so no one will be left out.”
The R 1200 GS Rallye version is designed to appeal to riders who favour a set up optimised for more ambitious off-road scenarios. This model comes with a rally seat, sport windshield, radiator and frame guards, wide enduro foot pegs, and spoked wheels with optional studded tires. Off-road performance is significantly improved due to harder suspension, longer spring struts and extended spring travel.
Howard Godolphin, BMW Motorrad Ireland’s motorcycle manager, said: “BMW has had an incredibly busy start to the year, with several new bike launches and a host of incredible upgrades to some of our current models. The highlight of all this activity in Ireland will be the new R 1200 GS models coming to the Carole Nash Irish Motorbike and Scooter Show in Dublin.
“They are the perfect companion for anyone considering touring. Whether you are exploring the wilds of Connemara, the mountains of Peru or the most extreme corners of the earth, the GS won’t let you down. We hope that all visitors get the chance to see these extraordinary bikes and our other models over the weekend and get a taste of what is on offer from BMW.”
As well as the R 1200 GS models, BMW Motorrad will be displaying, amongst others, the K 1600 GT SE, S 1000 RR Sport, S 1000 R Sport and R nine T. These bikes boast improvements in comfort, dynamism and touring capability, as well as improvements to their engines, suspension components, seating and styling. Seeing these bikes in the flesh for the first time is an additional incentive for the visitor to come along and visit the BMW stand at the show.
For stunning displays of truly amazing motorbikes and spectacular live action entertainment for all the family, visit The Carole Nash Irish Motorbike & Scooter Show at the RDS in Dublin, March 3rd-5th.
BMW R 1200 GS models
- Boxer engine with new catalytic converter and adapted data status to meet EU4 requirements and an output of 92kW (125hp) at 7,750rpm.
- New appearance with visually enhanced robustness.
- More marked styling and attractive colour variants.
- Even more ergonomics options with numerous seat heights and seat variants.
- Significantly wider spread of model variations in relation to the basic version, from the refined R 1200 GS Exclusive through to the R 1200 GS Rallye for riders with off-road aspirations.
- R 1200 GS Rallye – new version with additional product substance: Rallye seat, sports windshield, radiator and frame guard, wide enduro footrests and cross-spoke wheels as well as a professional sports suspension and optional studded tyres.
- Innovative functions provided by the latest generation of Dynamic ESA: automatic damping mode and automatic self-levelling suspension for a new riding experience.
- Riding Modes Pro with DTC, Hill Start Control and the new customisable modes Modi Dynamic Pro and Enduro Pro as optional equipment items ex works.
- New optional accessories such as cylinder protection bracket, top case for two helmets and off-road protection parts as well as radiator guard and frame guard.
About Carole Nash
- Carole Nash employs around 400 staff in the UK and Ireland, and provides insurance for more than 300,000 classic, vintage, modern, custom and off road motorcycles – the equivalent of around 25 per cent of all licenced machines.
- Carole Nash is a trading style of Carole Nash Insurance Consultants Ltd registered in England and Wales No 2600841. Carole Nash Insurance Consultants Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
- Winner of the Personal Lines Broking Innovation of the Year award for ‘Bikers Only’ at the British Insurance Awards 2016
- Winner of the Industry’s prestigious Insurance Times awards for Excellence in Motor Broking and Personal Lines Broker of the Year 2015
- Carole Nash was ranked as the UK’s 42nd biggest insurance broker by Insurance Times magazine in 2016